I have had my fair share of a 9- 5 job and I know it can be so demanding, as a lady there is the need to look smart everyday despite the daily stress. Your appearance plays a key role in how you will be addressed. There is the saying don’t judge a man by his appearance but let’s be honest with ourselves, we subconsciously address people based on their appearance.
In today’s workplace, casual wears are becoming really popular, it can get a little tricky to understand how you can look formal and not too casual every day to work. I will be sharing some tips that kept me safe while working from 9-5
- You need to understand the industry you are in. I worked at a fashion company, so I didn’t have to look too formal neither did I have to look too casual, I got away with so many outfits primarily because in the fashion industry, it is acceptable to express yourself from the way you dress in a creative manner. You need to understand what is acceptable in your industry.
- It is vital that you know your shape, there are some outfits that you would wear that wouldn’t suit you primarily because such outfit is not flattering to your body shape. Take your time while shopping for your work outfit, don’t get an outfit only because it looks good on your friend, it might not look good on you. Know your shape and know what looks good on you.
- Please pay attention to your bag, it is not a cute sight to see your personal belonging spilling out of your bag or briefcase. Keep the inner part of your bag clean and organized. Knapsacks are totally accepted in some industries but in some other industries carrying a knapsack would only make you like year one university student.
- Polish your shoe, clean your shoes. Shoes are so key, a shoe can change the total look of an outfit, so avoid wearing dirty shoes. Make that shoe shine, it can be what will lead to your promotion,(that was a joke).
- Always wear rich colors to portray authority, it is a fact that darker colors usually convey a stronger impression than lighter ones. Be cautious of bright colors, clothes that are too flashy can be distracting.
- Watch for poor fit always, don’t just put on any dress or any outfit and go out, make sure the outfit fits perfectly. Please don’t tell yourself “let me just manage it”. Always wear outfits that have a perfect fit.
- Take care of your clothes and accessories, do your laundry, iron your clothes, fix the torn parts if any, cut out the loose threads, fix your shoes, clean your accessories. Make sure your outfits look fresh and clean at all time.
- Last but not the least, please take care of your hair, don’t have your hair everywhere, you can decide to pack it neatly or style it neatly.
- Sorry, that wasn’t the last, this is the last, always try and maintain a good posture. Your posture says a whole lot about you.